[Nottingham] Debian mirror oddity.

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Sep 29 14:48:14 BST 2005

Hi, folks --

Any thoughts on the below.

We have around 150 Debian servers, and 30 Desktops in the office.  Some
of the servers are QA machines which are rebuilt regularly, and quite
regularly, to a different build spec.  Building/patching would be
quicker and smoother if we had a local mirror.

Inspired and charged, I set to and build a mighty fine, capacious,
colourful server.  A colleague then found 'anonftpsync'[0] on the Debian
site - a tool for populating the mirror, and we installed it on the box.

For many people and servers, the mirror is working fine.  Folk using apt
version 0.5.28.6 are able to use the mirror OK.  Some people are not
able to apt-get update from this mirror - I can't, running
0.6.41, nor can users of 0.6.38 ..

When I try, I get the message :

Err http://mirrors.dev.xxxx.co.uk sid Release.gpg
   Bad header line

Googling around for this 'Bad header line' message suggests that there's
an issue with the mirror itself (mismatch between the respository and
the Packages file, or similar).  I took this to mean that we were
possibly syncing at a bad time, so tried a sync at a different time, and
it still happens.  Googling also found mention of a bad proxy between
apt-get and the mirror - but there is no proxy in the way.

It is possible to wget the affected files.  Looking at the headers, we see :

200 OK
Connection: close