[Nottingham] Shortcut of the week

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 29 16:38:31 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 16:24 +0100, Martin Garton wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 16:22 +0100, Spandex wrote:
> > I just accidentally discovered that, while using less (382) you can
> > press 'v' to open the file in your default editor.  Then when you
> > quit the editor you're back in less again.  Handy.  Has everyone else
> > been doing this for years? :)
>
> I have used it occasionally. I always thought it just opened vi (hence
> the "v" shortcut) but since vi is my default editor it wouldn't matter
> to me anyway.
>
> Good tip though, for those who haven't found it.

This is why it's so important to set $EDITOR. There's nothing worse than
getting dropped into vi by whatever random program decided to spawn an
editor if you don't even know how the hell to quit the damn thing!!
ARRGH. Thank god for virtual terminals and "killall vi" :-)

Rob

--
Robert Hart <enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk>
University of Nottingham