[Nottingham] NTL Nottingham Network Changes (& elsewhere?)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 23:18:35 BST 2006

David Aldred wrote:
> On Thursday 06 Apr 2006 21:27, Martin wrote:
>
>>1: Switch off your cable modem and leave it off for a minute;
>>2: Switch it back on and wait for the "sync" and "rdy" lights to stay on
>>steady;
>>3: Reboot your Linux box (or Windows box).
>

> Reboot a Linux box?  Heresy :-)

Indeed. Then reread the techy long first version! My machine's uptime
remains unsullied :-)

> My process (with a local network behind a Linksys router)  was:
>
> 1 - Switch off cable modem and leave it off for a minute
>
> 2 - log onto the router and tell it to renew its DHCP lease (button at the
> bottom of the 'status' page)
>
> 3 - errr, that's all!
>
> (I'd started pinging the NTL nameserver at 194.168.8.100 before staring this,
> and it started getting responses at this stage).
>
> I'd suggest that on a Linux box connected directly to the cable modem all
> that's needed is to restart the network - 'service network restart' should do
> it on a Mandriva system, your distro may (and will!) vary!

Exactly so. Note also that you still should restart shorewall (or
whatever front end you're using for iptables firewalling). Then you
still need to restart any processes that are still assuming whatever
your old IP address was.

I didn't reboot 'cos I've got too many windows open to bother reopening.
(Terminal and applications windows, nothing to do with the Microsoft
stuff! :-O )

Strangely, my cable modem wouldn't play nicely until I'd gone through to
the unplug the coax stage. That might have tripped the roadside box, or
it might be just that my one minute pause was too short to let whatever
time out.

> NTL's recorded message suggested power cycling the cablemodem and rebooting
> both the router and the computer, but I really didn't want to re-setup all
> the non-default settings on the router!

Shouldn't those settings be safely stored in the flash memory for that
device?

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk