[Nottingham] NTL Nottingham cable broadband changes?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 01:18:43 BST 2006

Jim wrote:
> Glad to know it's not just me!
>
> My connection is back, but boy is it slow! Has everyone elses service returned
> to full speed? Or is it just my service that is broken? I'm in Carlton, btw.

Well... They are juggling the load balancing so if you were on a lightly
loaded segment (ie, fast) then you may be now slugging it out with the
p2p junkies.

For my example, the ping times to various sites appear to be the same.
However, a few sites are showing a few percent packets lost whereas
prior to today/yesterday I would always see zero packet loss.

I'll be watching to see how things settle.

NTL have now got some sever competition from others offering a supposed
8Mbits/s cheap services.

ADSL2 (aka ADSLmax?) looks scary hanging-on-by-an-electron stuff...
Watch yer noise margins and any solar flares! How many CBers are still
rattling the wires?

martin at ml1.co.uk