[Nottingham] importing domain to own host

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Mon Apr 10 16:56:41 BST 2006

Hi,

I've been using Vision Internet for my modest blog site, jamesgibbon.com,
for the last two years - and although I've been perfectly happy with their
service, I've decided that my own domestic webserver should be more than
adequate for my hosting purposes. So, it's my intention to copy the content
onto my own box, and host it there, instead of renewing in May.

I believe that it's possible to use a registered domain name with a dynamic
IP address (I have bog-standard domestic NTL broadband), by piggybacking off
a dyndns.org subdomain. I already have two of those, which are already used
with my webserver.

Has anyone actually tried this or something similar? I don't really know
what I'm doing :D

Do I need to set up BIND on my own box?

I assume that I need to renew domain name registration with Vision, but how
can I associate it with my own server, instead of the server host at Vision?

Thanks for any pointers,
James

--
Dig It : a forum for Beatles fans - http://beatles.dyndns.org/