[Nottingham] Gnome panel config file help

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 20:10:57 BST 2006

Hi Tim,

On 25 Apr 2006, at 19:52, Tim Emanuel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following some cack-handed drag/dropping I've managed to do this to
> my top panel:
>
> http://www.somethings.org.uk/pictures/Screenshot.jpg

Well done ;)

> Everywhere visible on it is either a menu or an icon so I can't get
> at the config to edit it, and I can't seem to see any handle to
> drag it back into place with.
>
> I've found the file /home/tim/.gconf/apps/panel/profiles/default/
> toplevels/top_panel/%gconf.xml, which I assume is where I should be
> looking next, but the contents seem to be in some kind of code:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <gconf>
>         <entry name="x" mtime="1134239870" type="int" value="0">
>         </entry>
>         <entry name="orientation" mtime="1145989149" type="string">
>                 <stringvalue>left</stringvalue>
>         </entry>
> </gconf>
>
> The change time on this file is correct for when I did it.
>
> Can anyone offer any advice?

The easiest way to edit gconf data is with the gui tool gconf-editor
is the command ye seek I believe.

If you want the panel across the top again try editing the above file
and changing

<entry name="orientation" mtime="1145989149" type="string">
                 <stringvalue>left</stringvalue>
</entry>

<entry name="orientation" mtime="1145989149" type="string">
                 <stringvalue>top</stringvalue>
</entry>

Although I can't guarantee that is correct, and would recommend the
GUI tool. I'm also pretty sure deleting the above file will give you
the defaults back.

Best,

Joshua Lock
incandescant at googlemail.com