[Nottingham] ISP ADSL

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Fri Apr 28 14:46:45 BST 2006

Simon Huggins wrote:
> I have never seen a clear explanation of exactly what BT do or where.
> You'll will certainly get contention from overfull central pipes (and
> from badly balanced central pipes) but I don't know what the situation
> with contention is at the exchange level or on the pipes from BT's side
> (i.e. not just ISPs overcontending).

Yes.  Latency on my dsl at home is very poor of late.  I contacted my
ISP (Zen) and a friend who worked there blamed exchange contention ...
and said that in fact BT were not accepting new subscriptions onto that
exchange.  Which strikes me as odd.

It's thought of as a 'student area' and dsl performance was great whilst
the students were away over Easter !

cheers
-a