[Nottingham] Weds - arcade night?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 22:10:36 BST 2006

ForkBombFluf wrote:
[---]
> Congrats on the new job, Hazel, whatever the OS!  It's all better than
> shovelling horse stalls... Well... most of the time anyway.

Mmmmm... At least horse stalls are a lot more reliable, and less smelly
than...

I've just lost a silly amount of time trying various permutations to get
an OEM WinXP-Home box to recognise a usb MS Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
combo. There was a very silly chicken-and-egg faux-pas whereby despite
following the instructions to install the MS drivers /before/ connecting
the keyboard, the damned "New Hardware Wizard" popped up wanting
keyboard input immediately on rebooting with the new keyboard connected!

A bodge solution was to run with both an old spare ps2 keyboard /and/
the usb wireless one, but I ain't unplugging a live ps2 connection. So
how/where do you now tell WinXP the new keys arrangement for the new usb
thing?! (Rather than the detected ps2!) There's no options in all the
usual control panel and driver/config panels... Into the Registry?...

(No answers wanted, I've since run away from that system!)

Kubuntu immediately correctly recognised the keyboard and keys layout.

For this Wed:

I'll be taking my backup box along for a mini-lan-fest in case anyone
gets bored with the zappings. I'm sure others will be welcome but please
check with Michael first for spare space and spare LAN sockets!

martin at ml1.co.uk