[Nottingham] Image list

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Dec 1 13:08:08 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 11:41 +0000, Robert Ross wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Have a little problemette :-)
>
> I have a folder of 600+ images and I want details of their names / file
> size / height x width.  I can obviously get the first two via the bash
> ls -l command, but how to I get the height x width information (I can't
> even get it in Konqueror - except one image at a time - and I really
> need a list)?  It would be nice if I could also put these details into a
> database (flat or relational).
>
> Any help appreciated,

Do you have perl's Image::ExifTool and associated command exiftool installed ?
Do the images have suitable exif tags ?

>From the command line:

# Get a list of useful tags:
exiftool -list foo.jpg

# Read specific tags:
exiftool -FileName -FileSize -ExifImageWidth -ExifImageLength foo.jpg
File Name                       : foo.jpg
File Size                       : 449 kB
Exif Image Width                : 685
Exif Image Length               : 998

or use Image::ExifTool to do something of your own liking.

Have fun,
Duncan