[Nottingham] Re: Pesky ._ "files"

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Thu Dec 7 07:51:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 02:25:21 +0000
"Joshua Lock" <incandescant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Once upon a time, not too long ago (sometime this year) Martin G and
> Roger L helped me get rid of all the pesky Mac OS resource files that
> where littering my drive.
>
> Problem is the help was given via IRC which I have no logs of.
>
> Yep, that's right. I'm trying to do the same again.
>
> I have several (nested) folders in ~ with loads of ._ files in *none*
> of which I need.
> Can anyone help me out with the required voodoo to get rid?

Do you simply need to get rid of every single ._* file?

Let's say you need to exterminate every file whose name starts with ._
under a particular folder. cd to the folder, and at the bash prompt,
type:

find . -type f -name '._*' -exec rm -f {} \;

.. you might want to list them first, to see what you'll be
deleting:

find . -type f -name '._*' -ls

.. this assumes you have the necessary permission to delete said
files, of course. It will dig right down into your nested subfolders,
as far as necessary, and delete the lot. I've also assumed they are
files' rather than directories (folders).

James