[Nottingham] computer bits and pieces

Robert Postill robert at grinning-cat.com
Tue Dec 12 22:50:31 GMT 2006

Godfrey Nix wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions of a suitable plug-in wireless lan card for
> my Compaq laptop? I am running Fedora Core on it (if that makes any
> difference).

Godfrey,
You may want to check out Linux Emporium (at
http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/#pid81765 ). I bought
their Belkin PCI adapter at LugRadio Live and that worked a treat for
me.  From recollection the PCI card uses the chipset of the PCMCIA card
but with the necessary gubbins to make it talk PCI .  I must admit that
I am surprised you haven't got a centrino laptop though.  In which case
Intel chucked in a wi-fi adapter anyhow, so modern distros like Fedora
should have the support for those cards (the modules you require are
ipw2100/ipw2200) available now.

Robert