[Nottingham] Fun with "ln" (links)

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Sun Dec 17 10:36:09 GMT 2006

> Is it possible to use hard links to link to one copy of file data such
> that there are two or more independent file names and file attributes?

I don't think so, as you say below when you make a hard link its linking to
both the data and attributes.

> Just using "ln" works by two filenames pointing to the one set of
> inseparable file data + file attributes.
>
> Alternatives?

What I did for camelbackup was to store attributes separate to the files.
When restoring we just had a script to correct the attribs. Not sure if
something like that would work for you or not.

ChrisB.