[Nottingham] Perl - NetPacket modules

Michael Erskine (at home!) perl at tecspy.com
Thu Dec 28 11:40:36 GMT 2006

Graeme Fowler wrote:
> Anyone used the NetPacket::IP module for decoding/encoding IP packets in
> Perl?

No, but I think I might be able to help anyhow.

> I'm having a hell of a time getting the encode() method to work... every
> time I try to call it I get the following error:
> Can't use string ("NetPacket::IP") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in
> use at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/NetPacket/IP.pm line 206

OK, how are you calling the encode method? From the docs on cpan
(http://search.cpan.org/~atrak/NetPacket-0.04/NetPacket/IP.pm) I see
that encode expects a scalar containing an object ref but you seem to be
passing something else (perhaps by mistake). Post a bit of code that
gives you the problem.

> It's driving me nuts!

Yes, quite!

Regards,