[Nottingham] Installing XP on a 2nd partition

Benjamin White eeyzbrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 13 01:50:39 GMT 2006

Hi James.

To answer your questions,

XP should install fine on hda3.

However it will overwrite your bootsector with Microsoft's.

I have found it is best to make a back up of the boot sector using:

% dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 of=/root/mba.block

and then after having installed windows xp, load up your favourite livecd,
mount your root partition and dd it back like so:

% mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
% dd if=/mnt/hda1/root/mba.block bs=512 count=1 of=/dev/hda

and then reboot, and modify grub or lilo appropriately to be able to boot Windows.

You can get nasty side effects if your partitions are out of order on your
drive before installing XP (e.g. hda2 comes before hda1) as the XP installation
 renumbers them to be in order, and having just installed to hdaX then
restoring the bootsector back, it then tries to read hdaY instead.

Regards,
     Benjamin