[Nottingham] Maildir on a different partition

Peter Siepmann peter at petersiepmann.net
Thu Jan 12 19:39:51 GMT 2006

Hello,

Just installed postfix/dovecot on my Fedora machine.  If, through a mail
client, I try and move a mail from some other account into my server's
mailboxes, I get a server error, and the following appears in
/var/log/maillog:

Jan 12 16:49:01 domain imap(siepmann): utime() failed with index file
/home/siepmann/Maildir//.INBOX/.imap.index: No such file or directory
Jan 12 16:49:01 domain imap(siepmann):
link(/home/siepmann/Maildir//tmp/1137084541.P5373Q10M561225.domain.com,
/home/siepmann/Maildir//new/1137084541.P5373Q10M561225.domain.com:2,S)
failed: Operation not permitted

My Maildir sits on a vfat partition (/dev/hda1) which is mounted as my
home directory.  If I move the Maildir onto the base Linux partition, it
works.  Which leads me to believe that the problem is something to do
with how Linux mounts my vfat partition...

The line in /etc/fstab is:
/dev/hda1	/home/siepmann	vfat	defaults,uid=500,gid=500

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

--
Peter Siepmann