[Nottingham] [Talk/Demo] *TODAY* Wed 18/01/2006 Into Using Linux: The GUI and The Command Line

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 01:13:43 GMT 2006

Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> *TODAY* we have:
>
>> Wed 18th January 2006 - Talk and Demo
>> =====================================
>>
>> Into Using Linux: The GUI and The Command Line

Folks,

Many thanks to Michael for giving a very good talk and an interesting
Human language analogy for 'talking' on the command line. Thanks to all
whom brought the variety of laptops for the hands-on demos.

Good to see the new and recent faces there also, welcome.

And a good night for all!

As voted on the night, the next meet is a food 'n' beers social in
Hockley in the city with food at the #1 Oriental Buffet. Further details
later.

For those wishing to look up more details on the shell "Bash", I've
listed a few links.

Cheers all,
Martin

Bash summary
http://www.internet-encyclopedia.org/wiki.php?title=Bourne-Again_shell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash

GNU Bash
http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/

The Bash Reference Manual
http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html

Bash FAQ, version 3.26, for Bash version 2.05b
ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/FAQ

'Tutorials'

Advanced Bash Scripting Guide
http://freshmeat.net/projects/advancedbashscriptingguide/

A quick guide to writing scripts using the bash shell
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/unix/bash-tute.html

Getting Started with Bash :: A Bash Tutorial
http://www.hypexr.org/bash_tutorial.shtml

Bash by example, Part 1
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-bash.html

martin at ml1.co.uk