[Nottingham] 64 bit linux

Iain Lennon ril at doctors.org.uk
Mon Jan 23 22:54:42 GMT 2006

On Monday 23 Jan 2006 13:50, Iain Moppett wrote:
> Does any one have any thoughts about which distro is best for a Linux
> returnee/newbie, just about to install an AMD 64 3200+.    I've googled to
> see if there is a clear favorite but can't find mcuh direct comparison.
> I'm currently using Mandriva 2006 quite happily. Many thanks,
>
> Iain

I'm using the x86_64 version of mandriva which seems fine, with no great
ommissions. I've had to do minimal tweaks to get all my hardware running, and
can play quake4 without everything falling over. I did try the fedora 64bit
distro, but got annoyed not being able to play my mp3s. That also installed
and ran without complaint for the limited uses I put it to

The only thing I have noticed is that updates for Mandriva x86_64 are much
slower to appear on servers (apparantly due to some compilation
complexities).
--
Iain Lennon