[Nottingham] 64 bit linux

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Tue Jan 24 03:55:11 GMT 2006

On Monday 23 January 2006 13:50, Iain Moppett wrote:
> Does any one have any thoughts about which distro is best for a Linux
> returnee/newbie, just about to install an AMD 64 3200+.    I've googled to
> see if there is a clear favorite but can't find mcuh direct comparison.
> I'm currently using Mandriva 2006 quite happily. Many thanks,

I've been running 64 bit for 18months with SuSE 9.2, 9.3 and now 10.0 it works
fine, there are just the odd 32bit apps I need to run however to get what I
need. For instance I need to run 32bit Firefox as there is no 64Bit
Flashplayer. I run 64Bit Xine to play DVD's, I successfully compiled a 64 bit
version of libdvdcss2. It just works and works well.

By what I have read as long as you steer clear of Asus motherboards, mine is
Abit, you will be fine.

--

David Bottrill

david at bottrill.org