[Nottingham] Give us a clue

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Mon Jul 24 11:57:16 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 09:41 +0100, mapguy publishing wrote:

> Is there somewhere in Nottingham I can nip along to who might load up
> Ubuntu and rid me of Windows?
>
> All suggestions gratefully received

What is the specification of the machine?  Most importantly, do you know
how much RAM it has?  (most PCs will usually tell you this as they boot)

Anyway, the latest ubuntu is great but has some higher hardware
requirements than WinXP does. (especially for memory in my experience.)

Something that might be worth a try if you don't have much memory is
xubuntu, which is an ubuntu variation with the XFCE desktop included in
place of GNOME.  I believe xubuntu expects a minimum of 64Mb of ram.

Whatever if takes to get a good distribution running, you'll get all the
help you need from the regular nlug meeting folks.  As Martin (the other
one) said, bring it along to a meet some time!

--
Martin.