[Nottingham] On the scrounge

Simon flibble at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 20:11:16 BST 2006

On 01/06/06, Alex Herington <alex at fnet.nu> wrote:
> Paul Mellors wrote:
> > If any one is giving or about to sell[no more that £20] an old rack
> > mountable 24 port 100meg hub, then can you bear me in mind?
>
> One of our clients at work has just got rid of 3 rack mount NetGear
> hubs.. I can't remember if they are 16 or 24 port. We have them stored
> so I can go and grab one if you want. I won't be able to check until
> Monday. Want me to leave them if they're 16 port?
>
> That goes for anyone else actually - you're welcome to any of it if you
> can pick it up. You'll be doing us a favour! We're based at High
> Pavement in the city centre, just opposite The Pitcher & Piano. There is:
>
> 3x rack mount NetGear hubs (I'll check how many ports, they're all have
> at least 16)
> LOTS of monitors - 17", 19", mixed brands, some good Hansol models - all
> ditched due to upgrades to TFTs
> Assorted towercase PCs - all gutted of HDD/CPU/RAM but the
> cases/mobos/video cards/network cards are still in them.
>
> All free, you just have to collect :) We'll be disposing of them in
> about 2 weeks.
>
> Regards,
> Alex

I'd be interested in some of the random PC bits, boards and video
cards. I don't actually mind testing stuff out and sticking things
onto Freecycle or distributing around the LUG? I've recently donated
two Dell machines, that are happily running Ubuntu, to a couple of
people who didn't have a PC and they are doing great.

Which gives me an idea. How does other members of the LUG feel about
refurbishing old PCs to donate to people less fortunate in life,
schools etc etc? Could be an interesting project.

Simon