[Nottingham] On the scrounge -- Simon

eddacker eddacker at eddacker.net
Fri Jun 2 06:08:40 BST 2006

Simon wrote:
> On 01/06/06, Alex Herington <alex at fnet.nu> wrote:
>> Paul Mellors wrote:
>> > If any one is giving or about to sell[no more that £20] an old rack
>> > mountable 24 port 100meg hub, then can you bear me in mind?
>>
>> One of our clients at work has just got rid of 3 rack mount NetGear
>> hubs.. I can't remember if they are 16 or 24 port. We have them stored
>> so I can go and grab one if you want. I won't be able to check until
>> Monday. Want me to leave them if they're 16 port?
>>
>> That goes for anyone else actually - you're welcome to any of it if you
>> can pick it up. You'll be doing us a favour! We're based at High
>> Pavement in the city centre, just opposite The Pitcher & Piano. There
>> is:
>>
>> 3x rack mount NetGear hubs (I'll check how many ports, they're all have
>> at least 16)
>> LOTS of monitors - 17", 19", mixed brands, some good Hansol models - all
>> ditched due to upgrades to TFTs
>> Assorted towercase PCs - all gutted of HDD/CPU/RAM but the
>> cases/mobos/video cards/network cards are still in them.
>>
>> All free, you just have to collect :) We'll be disposing of them in
>> about 2 weeks.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alex
>
> I'd be interested in some of the random PC bits, boards and video
> cards. I don't actually mind testing stuff out and sticking things
> onto Freecycle or distributing around the LUG? I've recently donated
> two Dell machines, that are happily running Ubuntu, to a couple of
> people who didn't have a PC and they are doing great.
>
> Which gives me an idea. How does other members of the LUG feel about
> refurbishing old PCs to donate to people less fortunate in life,
> schools etc etc? Could be an interesting project.
>
> Simon
I am!
Back home I did this for single parents who couldn't afford much for
their kids to do school work.
And had a project that sent machines to Central America into teaching
situations. (I come from California so it was logical).
I remember my first Red Hat install in Spanish, couldn't read a thing,
but knew which was what by the screens. hahahaha
I used to get kit from business upgrades fairly cheap, here in the UK
haven't found much as most businesses pay recyclers to take it away.

Let me know, I'll lend a hand.