[Nottingham] Weds 21st June - meeting

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 15:59:56 BST 2006

Michael Erskine wrote:
> Weds 21st June - meeting
> Content: not yet decided!
> Venue: not yet decided!
>
> Just letting people know that we still operate!

Yep, we're still very much operating! :-)

This Wed 21/06/06:

What Computers Use to Talk to Each Other {Martin Lomas}

Having the latest and fastest (or the oldest and slowest) computer box
is all well and good but completely useless unless it can communicate in
some way...

So how do computers 'talk' amongst themselves?

This is a very brief and friendly talk into a little of what goes over
your LAN and across whatever (inter)NET. Something of http, ftp, ports,
firewalls, ip addresses and indeed how you can read this mail list
should be demystified.

The geekie types can have their fun later at all the other 1001 and more
 bits I've forgotten over a few beers. How many communications protocols
do you think you use?!

Meanwhile, real people can just enjoy a few beers! ;-)

Further details later.

martin at ml1.co.uk