[Nottingham] Non-destructive partitioning?

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Wed Mar 8 21:16:34 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 08 Mar 2006 19:31, Peter Woods wrote:
> Regarding X on update.
>
> >> There's a suggestion on the Mandriva forums that it may be a
> >> maifestation of an issue which earlier affected nVidia cards, and which
> >> doesn't seem to have been fixed (at least no in any way that makes a fix
> >> easy - there's a manual process for a fix, but further updates break it
> >> again!).
>
> If you have nvidia driver running,
> it might help to revert to nv driver in xorg.conf before getting a new
> kernel.
> Presumably, the nvidia module gets zapped?

It's not a new kernel, and I'm not using the nvidia driver.   The problem
seems to be that an X update requires (without saying so) a later ATI driver
than is provided with Mandriva.   There's a way round it - basically
uninstall all ATI drivers, get the latest ones, then install them - but
people seem to be having some trouble with this process too!

--
David Aldred