[Nottingham] [Talk] This Wed 15/03/2006 - Ubuntu and Mac OS X

Karl Ryan karlryan.public at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Mar 13 19:44:32 GMT 2006

I know a little about audio and recording. What you need for an event like
this is a clip-on lapel mic, preferably a radio mic, with a digital output.
The reason why it has to be a clip-on is so that the mic picks up as much of
the speaker's voice as possible. If you use a standard type of mic then it
picks up all the ambient noise from the whole room and it just sounds crap.
The reason why you should use a digital output is to eliminate the
signal/noise problem (that hissing noise you get when you plug in your mic
into a cheap sound card).

The recording device can be a PC or Mac with a digital input. No special
equipment needed here. You can use Audacity which is released under I think
the GNU license (yay) to record and do post-recording editing and produce an
mpeg file.

The only problem is that the mics are VERY expensive so as to be
prohibitive.

The alternative is to buy a fairly decent microphone with a good response
for about £100 designed with a base and frame for a single speaker and sit
the speaker at a table or have what looks like a telephonist's headset. A
decent headset is also quite expensive.

Essentially how good your recording is depends a lot on how good (and
expensive) your equipment is.

--
Karl Ryan