[Nottingham] Colo / dedicated or virtual servers

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Thu May 18 14:06:52 BST 2006

Howdy

As some of you may already know, I'm no longer a part of the hosting
world having left the Webfusion/Host Europe/Pipex/GX/Donhost/Nildram et
al family in February.

That means I no longer have relatively easy access to oodles of
datacentre space with masses of bandwidth, and I'm trying to work out
what the way forward for my future hosting requirements are. I've run my
own servers for a long time, so I expect if I went for a proscribed
virtual hosting package I'd feel a bit like my legs have been chopped off.

So, I'm looking for good, reliable, doesn't-have-to-be-fast but
does-have-to-be-good hosting; either colo (for a 1U server), or decent
VPS-type hosting, or even decent but cheap dedicated servers. Googling
around gets millions of hits so I'd like to see what everyone else is
doing - and yes, I know that there are people on this list providing it,
and I have read back through the archive, but I thought an up-to-date
viewpoint would be useful.

Replies on-or-offlist welcome!

Graeme