[Nottingham] Social Last Night

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 19 08:03:08 BST 2006

Thanks all,

BTW: the MAME front end we were trying to use is called MAMED written in C++
using the SDL libs by Pieter Hulshoff of Meppel in the Netherlands (see
http://www.xs4all.nl/~phulshof/mame.html).

Having looked at a few front ends (see http://x.mame.net/frontends.html), and
trying unsuccessfully to write my own, I believe mamed to be a good starting
point: there's precious few that can be fully operated with the cabinet
controls. Wah!Cade also looks pretty good
(http://www.anti-particle.com/wahcade.shtml).

Last night I invested a little time to get the Favourites feature working: I
had failed to assign a button to toggle a game between its original category
and the Favourites category, and on Wednesday night there was only one game,
Arkanoid, in the Favourites making it seem like the feature was broken. Now I
have my top 50 or so games, the real classics, in the Favourites and I've
also worked out some good techniques for quickly locating games by name and
MAME version. I also played R-Type LEO for about an hour and a Japanese game
where cartoon pigs throw bombs at each other.

Anyhow, thanks to all who came round -- I intend to host another social one
weekend this summer, when we've got better weather.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Support Bingo, keep Grandma off the streets.