[Nottingham] Hosting + DNS [For Michael]

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Fri May 19 10:11:39 BST 2006

Paul,
paul at paulmellors.net said:
> Michael
>
> What was the name of that company that deals with your DNS?  I've
> previously
> used DYNDNS and am seriously thinking about stopping my hosting with 1 and
> 1
> [saving me 50 a month] and running my own server again.  Do you use a perl
> script to update the dns id your NTL ip changes?

I've been using www.noip.com to host my DNS, initially for when I was
running my domain on my NTL cable connection. They provide a Daemon for
linux for updating their DNS and importantly it doesn't use HTTP like some
DYDNS providers. You need to watch this as if the update uses HTTP then
you will find it will pick up the IP of the NTL webcache rather than your
server.

I pay extra with NOIP for them to provide a backup MX so they will collect
email if your server/NTL is down. When they discover your server is back
online they simply send on the email they have cached for you.

It's also worth noting that in the next few weeks as part of NTL's speed
upgrade that they are increasing outbound bandwidth from 200kbps to 400kbs
which is a great help if you are running a webserver.

David

--
David Bottrill

david at bottrill.org