Open vs Closed java on linux (was: Re: [Nottingham] What distro?)

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 25 09:59:38 BST 2006

On Thursday 25 May 2006 09:26, Martin Garton wrote:
> I haven't tried netbeans, but last time I tried eclipse (on FC4 I think)
> it ran slightly slower than under sun java, but started up faster.  It
> also appears to be highly dependent on gcj version and gnu classpath
> version.  It might be worth trying again.

You ain't joking! Eclipse under gcj is grossly slow and just plain does not
work for debugging. And the answer in the mailing lists? Just use the Sun
JRE!

> Progress of open java is interesting.  One reason that open java has
> taken (and still is taking) longer to progress on linux than open .NET
> is that there is closed java available and people choose that by default
> because it's more convenient, so the open implementations don't get much
> testing.  If everyone chose an open implementation (as they are forced
> to do for .NET on linux) and took a few minutes to report bugs if it
> didn't work for them, we would have a better faster more robust open
> java in no time.

Like a lot of people, when lucky enough to be presented with a choice, and
when I just want to get on with the job, I tend to go for whatever works
first or is least broken.

Whilst it's true that bug reporting might result in bugs being fixed, I expect
that a vague bug report of "gcj is too slow to run eclipse" will just be
ignored or be followed up with posts for people with more time: "do this",
"try this", "we need this obscure info", "use the CVS version, everybody else
does", "just rebuild your kernel with these obscure flags", "delete this part
of your install and see if it's any better" -- really, this is what you'll
get. And while there are people out there who have the time and expertise to
do all these things, there are many others who just want to get on with the
job. Like you say, with .NET nobody had a choice but with Java there's a
working alternative. As an analogue, do you think people will wait for a
legal DeCSS to play their DVDs? (<-- rhetorical :) )

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
"Regardless of the legal speed limit, your Buick must be operated at
speeds faster than 85 MPH (140kph)."

1987 Buick Grand National owners manual.