[Nottingham] MySQL backed nameserver

James Dobson dob_3001 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 11:38:04 GMT 2006

Sorry for the top posting last time ;)

> It sounds like it'll mostly be a read-only database,
> so normal file
> caching keeps the databases in memory most of the
> time anyway
> (provided the box has enough RAM going spare).
> Several
> of the "mostly read" MySQL boxes at work, for
> example, have absolutely
> no disc I/O except for a steady trickle of logs
> getting written - the
> rest is served from cached files in memory.
> Admittably this is
> probably slightly less efficient than the
> application itself managing
> the memory, but the setup is considerably easier to
> get right (not
> least because some cooperation from the applications
> using it is
> highly desirable).

Depends on how often people will be changing their DNS
records I would say your right although remember that
if the box also has other databases/tables for the
systems then it could 'push' the DNS tables out of
it's cache, for example any inner joins etc will
create temp tables that will use your ram/disk.
Obviously it all depends on the size it is, it may be
fine for many years until you reach a certain size
than *bang* you then either upgrade the RAM or think
of a different solution... It's all part of capacity
planning your expected volumes.

> The greatest advantage of MySQL Cluster is, well,
> that it's both a HA
> and a HP cluster. If a single machine simply cannot
> keep up with the
> load anymore(*) or you absolutely definitely cannot
> ever have the
> database unavailable, it's fantastic. Depending on
> the scope of the
> project, it's quite possibly overkill, though.

Your most likely right it's probably not going to get
big enough, although planning this type of stuff at
the start always means less headaches later on.

Have fun...

James D