[Nottingham] console vesa framebuffer problem

Ashley ashley.arb at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 22:21:07 GMT 2006

Hi,

I've just installed Slackware 11.0 on a couple of PC's, and I can't get the
console framebuffer to work on one of them (Pentium 200Mhz).  Both machines
have are using the same kernel (bareacpi.i).

Early in the boot sequence I get the message...

"You have passed an undefined mode number"
"Press <RETURN> to see video modes available"...

The logo is not displayed either.

I tried the video modes that were offered, but the resolution is really low
(VGA probably).

I've got lilo.conf set to...

# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
vga = 773

and I've also tried # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256 (vga=771)

First I assumed the pci graphics card (Stealth video 2500 PCI) was not
supported fully so I switched it for an ATI mach64 PCI.  No change.
(However having changed the card I'm not sure if I've got the right driver
installed.)

All the info I have found on the web relates to the kernel not having frame
buffer support, but in my case I think the problem is elsewhere.  I suspect
I may have missed out a required package - I had to do a very selective
install due to only having a 1GB disk.  I had a go with pkgtool to put in
the basic X11, library and fonts but that did not help.  The machine only
has 64MB or ram, but I'd expect that to be enough.

I've had a look in the logs and can't see anything that looks relevant.
Please can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Ashley