[Nottingham] PHP and Sendmail / Exim / QMail

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Thu Nov 16 19:21:06 GMT 2006

> Is there any way we can not wait for this response, and simply get a
> true/false immediately, and hope that the mail has been queued as normal?

You could pipe your mail through to "mail" (or one of the other command line
mailers) and background the process aslong as you don't need to do anything
complicated in your mail sending. Another thought is how long are you having
to wait? It shouldn't take anywhere near a second (generally) to send the
mail unless you have virus scanning or something else going on with the
mail. But either way your not going to get a yes/no answer unless you wait
for it (or save it and check it later and even then its not definite if its
been sent ok).

ChrisB.