[Nottingham] PHP and Sendmail / Exim / QMail

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Fri Nov 17 10:41:15 GMT 2006

On 17/11/2006 10:28, Ricky Hayes wrote:
> It's the php.ini default:
>
> sendmail_path = /var/qmail/bin/sendmail -t -i
>
> It's taking an average of (up to) 2 seconds to get a response from the
> mail() command (we have a time check immediate before and after calling the
> mail() command)...

Try this:

cat <<EOF | time /var/qmail/bin/sendmail -t -i
From: Ricky Hayes <ricky at domainarena.net>
To: Ricky Hayes <ricky at domainarena.net>
Subject: CLI submission test

Hi
Testing submission from CLI
Ricky

EOF

...that should give you an indication of what's happening; if it takes
seconds to complete, do it while you've got debugging turned on in your
mailer.

I just did something similar here, and it finished almost immediately
(as I would expect):

0.00user 0.00system 0:00.06elapsed 23%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

0.06 seconds, pretty quick. I'd suggest something isn't right with your
mailer config if it takes seconds to complete. As I asked before, are
you spam-scanning (or doing AV on) locally-submitted messages?

Graeme