[Nottingham] RE: Thanks (member@sonia11.fsnet.co.uk)

Jim Moore james at the-computer-shop.co.uk
Sun Nov 19 00:36:37 GMT 2006

YVW, it was an enjoyable event for me too.

My (strange) permanent setup has it so that each system gets its IP on a
permanent lease from a NAT firewall. My workstations all have the Samba
client installed, this works out-of-the-box to access my shares (be they
Windows shares when I have the odd LANparty or NFS on the Linux servers). The
NFS shares have mountpoints on the local hierarchy, the Windows shares are
accessed by typing the following into the Konqueror address bar:

smb://192.158.1.xxx/

where xxx is the server IP address.
This also works for Linux shares; to tell whether you have Samba Client
installed, type the following into the browser:

smb://127.0.0.1/

You should get the list of local shares, if any.

YMMV of course, this all works a treat on my (weird) setup.

You wrote:

A big thank You to everyone who helped me out last Sunday at the LAN-fest and
got my kids strange machine working.  I'm just trying to get it to recognise
my windows machine on the LAN.

Thanks again
Alistair

--