[Nottingham] Beginning emacs

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Tue Oct 3 08:45:07 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 21:03 +0100, Hazel Windle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need help beginning emacs, I know a few commands like ctrl-x ctrl-c
> to close and c-x c-s to save but I want to know how to load files,

CTRL x-i to insert a file into the file you have open
CTRL x-CTRL-f to open a new file

When you have more then one file open, CTRL-x b to switch between them

>  select text

CTRL-k to cut a line from the cursor to the end
CTRL-y to paste whatever you last cut

CTRL-<space> to set a mark
CTRL-w to cut from the mark to the cursor

>  and spell check.

ESC-$ to spellcheck the word your cursor is on

there is no shortcut to spellcheck the whole file, you need to do

ESC-x ispell-buffer

>  I'm using the command line version of emacs. Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Hazel

Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com