[Nottingham] Career change + perl.

Ovid publiustemp-nlug at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 11:00:20 BST 2006

--- Paul Mellors <paul at paulmellors.net> wrote:
> I'm learning PHP and can code in html quite easily.  Is PERL
> something i
> should add to my skillset.  It's not something i need right now but i
> see so
> many jobs out there that need it.....is it that good from a web
> developers
> point of view?  Maybe some one could chat to me about it on Thursday
> night?

Hi Paul,

Side note, while many people write "PERL", perhaps mistakenly thinking
it's an acronym (it's not), it's actually written "Perl" :)

As for whether it's worthwhile, there are a lot of companies in the UK
struggling to find good Perl programmers and they're willing to pay
good money for them.  If you check the TIOBE programming index
(http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm), you'll also see that Perl is solidly
in the top 10 of languages and it's been there for years.  And while
I'm quite happy with Pipex, were I to leave, getting a new job would be
a piece of cake.  There's a lot of work out there.

Cheers,
Ovid

--

Buy the book -- http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/