[Nottingham] Greetings!

Jonathan john00 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 00:59:45 BST 2006

Hello! Thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself.

I've just moved down from Leeds to pursue a mathematics degree at
Nottingham University. Having been partially active in the WYLUG (if
having given a talk a few of years ago on gentoo linux and going to
most monthly meetings me qualifies as active!), I'm enthusiastic to
get involved in NLUG.

As far as I'm aware, there is no linux society at the University. I
have however, managed to persuade a few of my flatmates to give OSS a
shot by installing OpenOffice and a few other applications. My
reasoning is once they see the practical benefits open source offers
it will be easier to woo them into trying out a fully fledged linux
system (I've got a few Ubuntu boot disks stashed away). A few have
already commented their amazement at the stability and superiority of
it compared to Microsoft Office, all for free!

You need around 20 people to start a society, so I'm going to try drum
up some interest and root out the people on campus already with an
interest in linux (any on this mailing list?) and figure out the best
way forward...

Look forward to seeing you guys at the next meeting. Regards, Jonathan.