[Nottingham] Second hand linux box.

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 10:27:09 BST 2006

> In which case I refer you to Josh, as the "nominated" President of the
> NTU  CompSoc. I'm unsure as to which variety of Linux he's intending to
> use, but we use Ubuntu, on around 400 PCs in the CIB Building, so I'd be
> suggesting that.

Spotlight ... Cripes!

It just so happens that I'm in the process of arranging some Ubuntu
discs to bring along.
Not only do the clever technicians use it in CIB but I'm running the
development version (Edgy) on my iBook right now!

I'll be bringing along discs of the stable release (Dapper Drake)
which will be free for interested parties to take away. Whether they
install it there and then or take it away to have a play.

The best thing about Ubuntu is that it is a live cd meaning you can
boot from it and have a play around without having to install it.

Obviously I cannot guarantee that nothing will get messed up and I
will be *strongly* recommending backups before anyone installs on
their main workstation. Having said that I've never had problems
installing any strain of Linux as a dual boot. Even when resizing
existing partitions I have not had problems (touch wood).

P.S: Any x86 users know if NTFS resizing is possible from the Ubuntu
6.06 installer?
P.P.S: Sorry to any uninterested parties for the ramble! :)