[Nottingham] Second hand linux box.

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 13:44:07 BST 2006

On 13 Oct 2006, at 11:18, Ian Scott wrote:
> Also, any PPC users know of any way to install linux
> on a mac without hurting the existing macOS (resizing
> tools or loopback methods).

Ian; that's what I did last night! :)
I resized my Mac (HFS+) partition using the Ubuntu (Edgy) LiveCD/
Install disc.

You should probably turn off journalling on the disk before you
resize (somewhere in Disk Utility?) but I forgot and have not noticed
any problems in OS X yet... (Touch wood!)

> My disk is looking pretty crammed, so I'm thinking of
> getting an external extra disk .... but I'm not sure
> Macs let you boot off these.  Anyone got any ideas?

I know that you can boot Mac OS X from an external HDD but have never
tried it.
Also I heard an Linux vendor called TerraSoft Solutions (or similar)
makers of Yellowdog Linux where selling YDL on bootable external
HDD's?!?!

Best,

- J

--