[Nottingham] Second hand linux box.

ForkBombFluf fluf at freeshell.org
Fri Oct 13 14:52:57 BST 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Haber Mike wrote:

> Hia,
>>
>>> My disk is looking pretty crammed, so I'm thinking of getting an
>>> external extra disk .... but I'm not sure Macs let you boot
>> off these.
>>> Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>> I know that you can boot Mac OS X from an external HDD but
>> have never tried it.
>> Also I heard an Linux vendor called TerraSoft Solutions (or
>
> Holding down t when booting will boot from a firewire drive.
> Holding down option should give you a choice.
> http://www.fif3.com/howto/archives/001983.html
> Let us know how you get on.
>
> Mike

Not ture, I'm afraid.  Holding down t at boot puts a Mac into Target Disk
Mode, which allows you to access the Mac via firewire from another
computer as if it were just nothing more than a firewire disk, and not
the loveable and capeable entire machine that it is.

After booting your first Mac in Target Disk Mode you could however go to a
second Mac, hold down alt (also lovingly known as Option) at boot time,
and boot from the hard drive in your first Mac.  Asssuming that they are
both the same architecture (both PPC or both Intel), of course.

Cheers,

-Stef