[Nottingham] Direct rendering disabled

Ovid publiustemp-nlug at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 10:43:47 BST 2006

Hi all,

First, I don't know Linux well, so bear with me.

I'm running Ubuntu and have XGL/Compiz running as well.  Everything is
fine, but after the recent beryl fork of Compiz, I stopped getting
Compiz updates.  In trying to follow this guide:
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/XGL, I've
gotten stuck because my direct rendering is not working:

  ~ $ glxinfo |grep rendering
  direct rendering: No

I'm wondering if the problem lies in having different vendors for the
client and server?

  ~ $ glxinfo | grep -E 'glx ve(ndor|rsion)'
  server glx vendor string: SGI
  server glx version string: 1.2
  client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
  client glx version string: 1.4

Again, I'm just a newbie, so that's a wild shot in the dark.

Help?

Cheers,
Ovid

--