[Nottingham][Talk] Tomorrow Thurs 07-09-2006: Open Source And Second Life

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Sep 9 23:41:58 BST 2006

Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Reminder for /tomorrow/ *Thursday* 7th September 2006 whereby we are
> most honoured to have:
>
>> Open Source And Second Life
>> ===========================
>>
>> Our new resident virtual reality guru, Jim Purbrick will be giving his
>> Euro OSCON talk...
>>
>> "Second Life is an online virtual world completely created and owned by
>> its residents. This talk will introduce Second Life and present Open
>> Source as an important part of Second Life's past, present and future.

I thought it all was rather spectacular for the various software parts
that have been put together, with a very large server farm, and a
surprising number of users, to form an elaborate virtual world complete
with its own economy.

>From comments on the night, some users appear to be quite addicted to
the virtual world including one of our members now suffering reduced
sleep due to too long online!

We also had Simon virtually rebuilding Ray's machine during the evening.
If only someone had also brought a LAN switch... ;-)

Thanks to Jim for a very good talk and presentation.

Thanks also to http://ineedbroadband.co.uk/ for helping us out for
getting onto the internet.

Watch this list for What Next :-)

Cheers all,