[Nottingham] The quickest distro in NLUG

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 11:30:17 BST 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 11:09, Martin wrote:
> OK,... Got to post the question as innocently raised in another ongoing
> thread...

innocently? :)

> What opinion (or hard evidence even) might people have for which is the
> fastest/quickest distro?

That would be almost entirely dependent on the platform on which one intends
to install the distro and what one intends to do with it! All opinions and
evidence should come accompanied with use-cases and target hardware otherwise
this thread quickly lowers itself to the ranks of "what's the best colour?",
or "what's better: hip hop or classical?" :)

> (Meanwhile, the Gentoo installer has failed for my P3 old hardware :-(
> Whereas DSL boots up ok :-) So DSL wins on quickest there!)
> For my thoughts, I think this is likely more a question of which distro
> is smallest/leanest that still gets the job done.

That's better! Now define "the job" (other that that you can actually install
it which is the problem with some of _my_ hardware)

> Kustom Kompiled Kernels Is Kwick whatever distros...?

YMMV - there's work to be done and you might not get what is largely supported
if you stray too far from your distro's default kernel config.

BTW: to throw some of my own kit into the equation: I have a P100 laptop that
currently runs MuLinux -- so installed because it has 8Mb RAM, no CD drive
and it was the only distro that would install from floppies with SVGA
XFree86, Perl, SSH, etc. The sticking point is that the kernel is 2.0 (gasp!)
and I'd like to massage this distro into something more modern (e.g. a basic
LFS). Recommendations? Oh yeah, it has working 10Mbit ethernet too!

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
* knghtbrd does the ET thing