[Nottingham] Linux solutions to spam

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Fri Sep 15 15:42:36 BST 2006

> What are other members Linux solutions to this issue. I haven't delved
> into it too deep as yet and thought I'd get some pointers first. It's a
> pain but a fact of life I suppose that I'll have to start dealing with on
> this email address. I should think myself lucky that I haven't to deal
> with this issue on this address before... it just means more filtering of
> my emails before opening them.

Hi,
 For my mail I use at SMTP time RBL/clamav and afterwards
MailScanner/Spamassassin.

With clamav (clamav-milter in sendmail) I use extra signatures from:
MSRBL-Images - http://www.msrbl.com/site/msrblimagesdownload
MSRBL-SPAM - http://www.msrbl.com/site/msrblspamdownload
SaneSecurity Phishing Signatures -
http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/downloads.htm
SaneSecurity Scam Signatures -
http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/downloads.htm

The RBLs I use are:
combined.rbl.msrbl.net
bl.spamcop.net
list.dsbl.org
sbl.spamhaus.org
cbl.abuseat.org

These are mostly picked due to how easy it is to get off the list and how
much trust *I* give them as sources.

MSRBL is my baby so if anyone else uses it I'd be interested to hear how it
works or doesn't for them.

Chris.