[Nottingham] Fuji F650

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 17:38:55 BST 2007

On Sunday 19 August 2007 14:12:18 Ron Wilton wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a Fuji F650 digital camera, and am just wondering
> about its compatibility with Ubuntu Linux.

As others have mentioned, modern cameras should just work - if they don't,
it's a serious bug!

Digital camera support was one of Ubuntu's "N big challenges" which people may
be familiar with: "Grandma's Digital Camera" was the bullet point from Mark
Shuttleworth's "N big challenges" presentation if I remember correctly.

Cameras should now be talking PTP as described here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol

Cameras should be a plain old USB Mass Storage Device "MSD" as described here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass_storage_device_class

From my experience, the only time these devices fail to do what is expected on
Ubuntu is when there's a problem with the underlying USB or device detection
and automatic mounting features: e.g. I managed to break the automounting on
Ubuntu Feisty recently by ejecting a corrupted CD. In those cases there's
always something of interest in the system logs. A reboot, although
distasteful, will remedy a broken automount feature without having to dig
about for ages like I tend to do! I hasten to add that this is very rare.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Genius is the talent of a person who is dead.