[Nottingham] Tux Droid

Richard Smedley rs at m6-it.org
Fri Dec 7 19:41:19 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 13:24 +0000, ForkBombFluf wrote:
> Anybody played with one of these?

Yes, when they were launched - v briefly.

> He appears to be a lot like the Nabaztag WiFi rabbit, only superior in
> that he is more open source (not reliant on a website or service
> subscription) and controlled through Linux software.

Controlled through Python - it doesn't matter what kernel you
have, afaict, should be fine on any *nix :-)

It was demonstrated to me as being ideal for e-mail - flapping
it's wings when you get one, then you tap it on its head and
it reads the mail out to you.

Possibly not so useful when you get 1000+ e-mails a day.

However they've great potential for education use - teaching
kids simple Python programming with very visual feedback =o)

> http://www.kysoh.com/
> http://www.firebox.com/product/2032?src_t=wnw

Note the cheaper price in Europe.

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                          rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                      www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                         +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2 [TM] Project Management
Training * Certification * Support * Networking * Web * Database * CRM

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,                Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:       4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/ Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                     contact matthew at m6-it.org