[Nottingham] [Virtual/Social/Tech] Thurs 20/12/2007 Online Xmas meet

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 11:01:28 GMT 2007

We know how hard it is to arrange socials this time of year so our Xmas meet
will be of the non-meatspace variety (bear with me!) : so at 8pm on Thursday,
fire up your favourite IRC client and point it at #nlug on irc.oftc.net
(irc://irc.oftc.net/#nlug for short) where you should find the usual lurkers
and hopefully a few more to chat inanely in the comfort of your own wifi
warmspot or hardwired boudoir.

Anybody needing help with IRC on Linux, Mac, Windows, etc. can ask here, or
read one of the many primers on the intertubes (e.g.
http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html or perhaps the Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irc for more detail), but really the easiest
thing is to just fire up any reasonably popular IRC client (perhaps with a
URL like irc://irc.oftc.net/#nlug ) and it _should_ just sorta work! I
imagine most of you using kopete or konversation under KDE, ChatZilla (a
mozilla irc client), Gaim, Pidgin or LostIRC under Gnome, or (god help us)
BitchX! Most of the regulars on #nlug use irssi from the commandline (usually
backed with screen(1)).

So line up a beer or two, get comfy and let's get all ASCII like it was 1995!

Regards,
Michael Erskine

--
Jones' Second Law:
	The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone