[Nottingham] Java recommendations

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Thu Dec 20 11:57:39 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 11:46 +0000, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

> The software will be processing in-flight CCD calibrations as part of a
> larger data processing pipeline. So I guess the keywords would be:
> efficient, numerical analysis, debugging and process monitoring.

That's well outside my area of experience, so I can't recommend anything
specific.  Most of my work relates to databases, UIs and communications.

I would say start with the Sun Java tutorial and see where that takes
you.  I'll be happy to help with any problems you find along the way.

I don't know whether you have programmed in an OO language before, but
if not, I think it's important to have a good understanding of the
concepts. I find that good OO design is often more important than any
particular implementation technology.  Then again, it might not be as
important in your particular domain.

--
Martin.