[Nottingham] Vista experiences please

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 10:41:15 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I think we could go on and on about the perceived (and real!) problems with
the newly Microsoft Windows Vista for some time but not really get much out
of it except for perhaps the reloading of old grudges and the venting of old
frustrations.

As Graeme may have pointed out, the FUD slinging is unlikely to do much good
so what I'd like to encourage is the honest (non-sarcastic) discussion of the
_positive_ _first-hand_ experiences of Vista that our members have, and the
honest discussion of what GNU/Linux has/doesn't have to offer in the same
area.

Personally, I haven't used it yet but our IT manager has and he likes some of
the features (esp. to do with notification of certain event log events). My
immediate thoughts when hearing about these features was "Linux/MacOS has had
that, like, forever!" but I resisted voicing this because, well, for one:
it's rather childish(!), and two: he's heard me say all that before! My inner
Windows "power-user" would ask "how accessible are those features in
Linux?", "How can I get them working?", etc.

Just a thought to get some Vista discussion on a constructive track.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Those who educate children well are more to be honored than parents, for
these only gave life, those the art of living well.