[Nottingham] What restricted shell for ftp? What idiot-user GUI client?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 17:50:56 GMT 2007

Folks,

I have a dim memory that there is some shell available that is specially
restricted for use with ftp to thwart break-in attempts.

But what is it?

I've found rbash:
http://www.wlug.org.nz/rbash(1)
however that also restricts "cd"-ing into subdirectories...

So what is there?

I'm already using proftp with chroot-ing for the users concerned, but
any other lock-down possible?

Also: What's people's favourite cross-platform GUI *sftp* client? (That
is idiot user proof?)

Ideal is something that just simply takes a sftp://user@some.web.address
and then just asks for the password, then offering drag'n'drop for the
files. For example, Filezilla is just far too scary for most users!

martin at ml1.co.uk