[Nottingham] Re: DDR RAM: "Registered" vs "Buffered"

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Feb 25 18:59:58 GMT 2007

Martin wrote:
> OK folks,
>
> In DDR RAM terminology, does "Registered" also mean "Buffered" and vice
> versa??
>
> Or can you have Registered DDR2 RAM that is "Unbuffered"?
>
> I know of "FB-DIMMs" ("Fully Buffered")... Is that something different
> again unrelated to the above?
>

> (Damn those ignorant marketing types whom glibly sprinkle techno-terms
> anywhere and anyhow they feel 'looks good'!... :-( )
>
> Anyone know?

Answering my own question, it looks like the "buffering" refers to data
buffering rather than electrical signal buffering and that there are:

"Unbuffered"

"Registered" which equates to (data) "Buffered"

"Fully Buffered" whereby a series of DIMMs form a register stack for
data transfer.

Or am I dreaming?

martin at ml1.co.uk